Thursday, May 10, 2012

Is YOUR cat co-dependent?

I have to admit that my faith in the competency of my vet was shaken when he asked this question, but he was making a good point.  You see, I have a very anxious cat.  He does not handle stress well and it causes him to have eye infections.  He had these a lot when he was a kitten but I've been able to keep his stress levels in check.  Like most cats he doesn't like change and there are a myriad of things that can tweak him.


The one thing that tweaks him the most is *my* stress level. If I am upset or crazed (conditions I often find myself in) he is an absolute wreck.  Sometimes it makes me stress more, knowing that my stress is causing him distress.  Other times I use it as a way of letting go of some of the BS because we'll both feel better in the end.


We need to learn from each other.  I need to learn to focus on the important things in life and not get so wrapped up in the day-to-day.  He needs to learn that if I pack a bag it doesn't mean I'm leaving him forever.  He also needs to learn that the shower isn't hurting me and that 10 minutes of peace with hot water will be the best thing for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment